Sunday, April 28, 2013

Crazy good time - and good timing!

I've been living with my big sweet man in his house for a little over 3 years. I tried to sell my house shortly after moving in with him. It got plenty of views, but nobody liked it enough to put in an offer. In between, it's been rented and I've been fortunate to have good enough tenants to take care of it. That said, I still lost money on the deal and always worried about what could or would go wrong. So I have spent the last 1-2 months wearing out my property manager/realtor that I wanted to get my house on the market, now that the economy seems to be recovering.

The house was set to list yesterday. My realtor got a jump on the process and listed it a couple of days early - on Wednesday. On Thursday morning, I get a text message from her telling me to check my email because there are some documents to complete. I didn't really read the text message. I went back to my office, printed off the documents and tried to figure out who this person was on my paperwork... then I realized that it was a contract to buy my house. I went back and read the text message and literally freaked out. I had an offer on my house for the asking price before I even realized it had hit the market! How awesome is that?!?! I'm STILL reeling from the opportunity to be relieved of that house.

Today was inspection - I am dreading reading about what needs to happen to the house- is it possible that it could be just fine? I'm hoping for minimal/no repairs.

When I was working in the yard at home today, where I live now, I was thinking about what my house meant to me. When I grew up, we lived in a trailer park. It was nice for what it was, and our mobile home was nice - for what it was. But I always had a fear for inviting friends over because I didn't want them to judge me on where I came from - I wanted them to base their judgment on me alone. And for the most part, I was able to avoid much harassment. But I always felt inferior. Purchasing my house - the one I want to get out of so badly now - was my dream come true. It was the ONE thing I wanted more than anything else. It wasn't the fanciest house, but it was just right for me. And the greatest, best thing was that it helped me finally get over my insecurities about where I came from. It was proof to me that I had arrived.

Now, I hope that that little house can make another family's dream come true. I hope it brings joy to them, that it protects them and gives them a place to grow tons and tons of memories. I hope that it helps them realize their worth and their potential, too. A home can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment