Monday, November 12, 2012

Blessed to Be American

Sometimes, it's good to take a moment to think about what it means to be an American. I am fortunate. I was born here, in a time where women's rights afford me the opportunity to go to school, work, and earn a livable wage. I can choose where and how to worship, and can speak my peace - I can speak in support or against my government, I can vote, and I can contact my representatives on issues that concern me. All of these are things I take for granted on a daily basis. Here, they're rights.

At my job, I was able to participate in a Veteran's Day event. At the event, the names of over 6,600 veterans were read. 6,600 men and women have died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Men and women from the local VFW post took turns reading the names - names of sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, partners... I simply can't imagine the sacrifices they've made. And I can't imagine having a loved one half-way around the world in combat - the hope that there's never a knock at the door, the anticipation of R&R, wondering what will be different when he or she returns. My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

The gentleman who spoke after the National Roll Call discussed what we can do to better understand what our soldiers will be dealing with upon their return. It's one of those things where awareness is just one very small part of a much larger and far-reaching problem. The advice was so broad - being mindful of sensitivity to light, noise, and crowds to anticipating uncontrolled rage. Resources were provided from a few local agencies, and I am glad to know there's such support for our veterans. It will never be enough, but at least there's effort in trying to ensure that none of our veterans are homeless, and that veterans and their families have access to counseling and support networks.

As for me, what can I do? Honestly? I'm looking for feedback here. My granddad served in World War II, but that's the closest member in my family to serve - it didn't have a huge impact on my day-to-day life. So I do what I hope will help. A word of thanks, a smile, a handshake, a hug to a coworker who served.

And a little time to reflect on all of our fortunes, paid for by strangers, neighbors, friends, family members, coworkers.... Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment